Local Author Submission Overview
The purpose of the Local Author collection is to recognize literary works written by Northern Chicagoland Area authors and to support the local arts community by including their works in the collection when appropriate. The Grayslake Area Public Library welcomes the opportunity to support and promote the creative and literary expression of our community.
- Local Authors must reside in the Northern Chicagoland Area or have a connection to the Northern Chicagoland Area community. Books set in the Northern Chicagoland Area area may also be considered for this collection.
- Preference will be given to Grayslake Area Public Library District residents.
- This is a donation-based collection, therefore the Local Author agrees to donate only one physical copy of the book to the library. The book must be in good condition, as well as, bound and formatted in a way that enables circulation, ease of use, and durability.
- By submitting a donation, the author agrees to adhere to the library’s Collection Development policy. We will apply the same selection criteria to Local Author materials, as what is used in the selection of other materials in our collection. Additionally, books accepted into the collection may be withdrawn according to the Collection Development policy.
- In keeping with the library’s Collection Development policy, the library will not pay for unsolicited materials. Unsolicited work(s) received in the mail will not be returned.
- Fill out the Local Author Form.
- With the completed form, either mail or deliver (to any Public Service desk) one copy of your book to:
Grayslake Area Public Library
Attn: Resource Services/Local Author Submission
100 Library Lane
Grayslake, Illinois 60030
- The Collection Development team will evaluate the submitted material.
- If the book is accepted, it will be added to the library catalog and processed. Books that are added to the collection become library property and are subject to the guidelines of the Collection Development policy.
- Materials that are not selected for the collection will be given to the Friends of the Grayslake Area Public Library.
- A Collection Development team member will contact the Local Author by email confirming that the work has been received. The Local Author will be notified by email regarding the decision within one month from receipt of materials.