What is Friends?
We are a group of volunteers whose sole purpose is to support the Grayslake Library community.
We respond to requests of the library staff by supplementing library needs. Our volunteer time is devoted to the collection, sorting, and sale of donated books and audiovisual materials. We conduct a year-round lobby sale and occasional special sales. Check for signs in the hall and a notice on this page.
Friends of the Library are always looking for volunteers to help sort donations for our sales.
Consider being a part of the sorting crew every Monday and/or Friday at 9:00 a.m. The sorting crew also works on Wednesday evenings at 7:00 p.m. Times are subject to change as needed.
Friends of the Library hold meetings three times a year.
|Donation||The amount of your choice|
Benefits of Working with Friends
- Enjoy the company of like-minded book and library lovers.
- Experience the thrill of hunting through tons of donations and finding that special
- Earn special sale privileges that apply to working Friends only.
If you have questions, comments or would like to volunteer, please fill out our form
Friends Sale Donations
The Friends of the Grayslake Library thank you for your donations! We welcome donated
materials that are in good condition.
However, please note that we do not accept the following:
- Cassette tapes (music or audiobook)
- VHS tapes
- Discards from Grayslake or other libraries
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books
- Textbooks over five years old
- Any materials that are broken, soiled, moldy, water-damaged, or otherwise not suitable for resale
You may drop off donations at the Circulation Desk to receive a tax receipt. If a receipt is not needed, simply drop materials into the Friends drop slot located across the hall from the Community Room.
Items that cannot be used in the Library collection will be placed in the Friends lobby sales.
Proceeds from sales are used to enrich and support our library community.
A Sample of Items Given to the Library by the Friends
- Summer Concert Series
- Winter Concert Series
- The Film Series
- Toddler Wall Toys at Circulation
- Train Table in Youth Services
- Portable Defibrillators
- Staff Safety Training
- Book Page subscription
- Paper Shredder
- Office Cabinets
- Lego Robotics and BeeBots
- CD/DVD Disc Cleaner
- Shopping Baskets
- Adult Services Book Display
- Bulletin Boards
- Podium with Microphone
- Landscaping at Entrance and Service Door
- $70,000 for 2014-2015 renovation