Renewals may be done in person, by phone (847-223-5313), or online in your library account. To log into your account you will be prompted to enter your library card number and password (usually the last 4 digits of your phone number).
Have your library card and items handy when you call.
If an item in our catalog is checked out or unavailable, you can place a hold to get in the queue and be notified when it is ready to be picked up.
You can place holds in person, by phone (847-223-5313) or through our library catalogs. In our catalogs you will be prompted to enter your library card number and password (usually the last 4 digits of your phone number).
Loan Periods, Limits and Renewals
|Material Type||Loan Periods||Patron Limits||Renewals|
|Hot Picks Videos||1 week||5||0|
|Fiction Videos||1 week||20||2|
|New Fiction Videos||1 week||20||2|
|TV Series Videos||2 weeks||10||2|
|Nonfiction Videos||3 weeks||20||2|
|New Nonfiction Videos||2 weeks||20||2|
|CDs (Audiobooks and Music)||3 weeks||50||2|
|New CDs||2 weeks||20||2|
|New Playaways||2 weeks||20||2|
|Hot Pick Books / Teen Hot Reads||2 weeks||5||0|
|New Books||2 weeks||50||2|
|Playaway Views and LaunchPads||1 week||5||0|
|Games (Wii, PS3 & Xbox 360, etc.)||1 week||5||2|
|Theme Bags||3 weeks||1||0|
|Magazines (back issues)||1 week||50||2|
|Other Items (such as umbrellas, tote bags, maker kits, etc.)||Varies—ask at desk|
Patrons may receive notifications via email by providing a current email address to Circulation staff or requesting the service through the form below.
Arrived Hold notices are sent as soon as an item you requested is checked in. We will hold the item(s) at our Circulation desk for 5 days.
After 5 days, holds will be canceled and placed back on the shelf for other patrons or moved on to the next patron on the Hold list. You will receive an email immediately following cancellation.
Two days before items are due on your account, “Friendly” reminder emails are sent. One week after an item is overdue on your account, you will receive your first overdue notice.
Once email notifications are sent from the library and received by your email provider (yahoo, google, etc.), the library no longer has control over what happens with the notice. Please be aware, your provider may send it to spam. If suddenly you stop receiving emails from the library, please check your spam settings.
Emails are meant to be an additional way of keeping track of your library items. The library does not recommend using email as the only way of knowing when your items are due. You receive a receipt at the time you check out items, you may check your account through the library website, and you may call and check due dates with library staff.
You can pay fines at the library by cash, check or credit card. You can also pay online before you come to the library through E-Pay.
- Books, CDs, audiobooks, magazines, Playaways and CD-ROMs = 15¢ per day up to $5.00.
- DVDs, Blu-ray, Games, Playaway Views, and Theme Bags = $1.00 per day up to $5.00.
- Kindles = $5.00 per day up to $25.00.
- Lost or damaged library card = $2.00 ; Replacement of barcode = $1.00.
- Repair or replacement fine, plus late fines for lost or damaged items. (See the Circulation Desk for a complete list of fines.)
- Holds for Grayslake Card Holders will have priority over Non-Grayslake Card Holders.
- Kindles are available for checkout to Grayslake Library card holders 18 years and older. The loan period is for 2 weeks and cannot be renewed. Patrons must have a valid Grayslake Library Card. Please ask at Circulation for more information.