1000 Books Before Kindergarten
This free program is a fun and engaging way to help you to read 1,000 books with your child before they enter kindergarten - reading to your young child is the best way to prepare them for school. In as little as 15 minutes a day, families can build the skills for future success in school and life.
Who can join?
Any child from birth to entering kindergarten can take part in this self-paced early literacy program.
How does it work?
- CLICK HERE TO REGISTER or register at the Youth Services Desk
- Come to the library and pick up your 1000 Books Before Kindergarten log book.
- Start reading together. It might seem like a lot, but you can do it!
- If you read a book more than once, you can record it each time; repetition is essential for learning!
- You can count any book from anywhere - library storytime, daycare, preschool, even books read by others to your child count!
- For every 100 books read, bring your log to the library and receive a small prize to celebrate.
- After completing just the first 100 books, you will get a special book bag!
- After finishing 1,000 books, your child will:
- Receive a certificate of achievement
- Have their photo taken and added to our wall of finishers!
Have their picture posted on our social media; you can share this accomplishment with family & friends! (With your permission)
Why is it important to read 1,000 books?
Learning to read begins long before a child enters kindergarten. Reading together helps develop pre-reading skills and provides a solid reading foundation - a key indicator of school and learning success.
Why participate or read to young children?
- Your young child may seem too little to understand, but they enjoy your voice, words, and rhythms as you read.
- Reading together promotes physical, social, and emotional development.
- Snuggling up to read a book together signals safety, love, and emotional connection.
- Reading together helps them develop and expand the language and vocabulary skills they need to learn to read and be successful in school.
By reading just three short stories a day, you and your child will have read 1,000 books, and you can easily complete the program in one year! This is an ongoing program; there is no start or stop dates except when your child goes to kindergarten. So don’t feel rushed - enjoy the experience! Plus, sharing stories is fun!
We Are Here To Help You Reach This Goal- Stop in often and talk to our friendly staff; we are here to help!