Renewals may be done in person, by phone (847-223-5313), or online in your library account. To log into your account you will be prompted to enter your library card number and password (usually the last 4 digits of your phone number).
Have your library card and items handy when you call.
Renewals on most items are available for two additional loan periods if no holds are pending. See our PDF for a complete list.
If an item in our catalog is checked out or unavailable, you can place a hold to get in the queue and be notified when it is ready to be picked up.
You can place holds in person, by phone (847-223-5313) or through our library catalogs. In our catalogs you will be prompted to enter your library card number and password (usually the last 4 digits of your phone number).
Loan Periods, Limits and Renewals
You can pay fines at the library by cash, check or credit card. You can also pay online before you come to the library through E-Pay.
- Books, CDs, audiobooks, magazines, Playaways and CD-ROMs = 15¢ per day up to $5.00.
- DVDs, Blu-ray, Games, Playaway Views, and Theme Bags = $1.00 per day up to $5.00.
- Nooks & Kindles = $5.00 per day up to $25.00.
- Netbook Computers = $10.00 per hour up to $500.00.
- Lost or damaged library card = $2.00 ; Replacement of barcode = $1.00.
- Repair or replacement fine, plus late fines for lost or damaged items. (See the Circulation Desk for a complete list of fines.)
- Holds for Grayslake Card Holders will have priority over Non-Grayslake Card Holders.
- Netbooks are available for checkout to Grayslake library card holders 18 years and older. They are to be used in the library and checked out for a four hour time period with the option of a four hour renewal period. Patrons must show a valid Driver’s License or State ID at the time of check out. Please ask at Circulation for more information.
- Nooks and Kindles are available for checkout to Grayslake Library card holders 18 years and older. The loan period is for 2 weeks and cannot be renewed. Patrons must have a valid Grayslake Library Card. Please ask at Circulation for more information.
Patrons may receive notifications via email by providing a current email address to Circulation staff or requesting the service through the the form on the right.
Arrived Hold notices are sent as soon as an item you requested is checked in. We will hold the item(s) at our Circulation desk for 5 days.
After 5 days, holds will be cancelled and placed back on the shelf for other patrons or moved on to the next patron on the Hold list. You will receive an email immediately following cancellation.
Two days before items are due on your account, “Friendly” reminder emails are sent. One week after an item is overdue on your account, you will receive your first overdue notice.
Once email notifications are sent from the library and received by your email provider (yahoo, google, etc.), the library no longer has control over what happens with the notice. Please be aware, your provider may send it to spam. If suddenly you stop receiving emails from the library, please check your spam settings.
Emails are meant to be an additional way of keeping track of your library items. The library does not recommend using email as the only way of knowing when your items are due. You receive a receipt at the time you check out items, you may check your account through the library website, and you may call and check due dates with library staff.